This Valentine's day, don't phone it in with a set menu and overpriced roses – we've done the hard yards and scoped out the most fun, exciting and unique experiences across the city for your long-awaited date. There's axe throwing, movies under the stars and bonding activities like no other – the choice is yours.
Whether you're in a couple, in a throuple, single, or ticked the "it's complicated" box on Facebook, there is something nice about celebrating a day of love.
Are you located in Melbourne, Victoria, looking for the best Valentine's day ideas? When you are planning your Valentine's date, you probably want everything just perfect. One of the best ways to make sure that it all turns out the way you dreamed it to select every vendor yourself personally. This way, you can choose the ultimate location, the best entertainment and the most delicious food and craft your ideal Valentine's day.
Table of Contents
- 0.1 Ultimate Valentine's Day Ideas in Melbourne, Victoria
- 0.2 Have Dinner or Lunch Date at the top of Brighton Savoy Hotel
- 0.3 Spend the day at Pt Leo Estate
- 0.4 Stay overnight at Hotel Windsor.
- 0.5 Go on a romantic spin on the Melbourne Star.
- 0.6 Hot Air Ballooning Over The Hunter Valley
- 0.7 Picnic in the Royal Botanic Gardens
- 0.8 Sleepover at Melbourne Zoo For 2
- 0.9 Learn A Dance Of Love At The Immigration Museum
- 0.10 See A Film At Barefoot Cinema
- 0.11 Valentine's Day Helicopter Flights
- 0.12 Sunset Sparkling Wine Cruise by Catamaran
- 1 Wine Making Experience
- 2 3 -Course Steakhouse Dinner Date
- 3 Virtual Murder Mystery Party at Home
- 4 How to Have the Best Valentine's Day Ever
Ultimate Valentine's Day Ideas in Melbourne, Victoria
Have Dinner or Lunch Date at the top of Brighton Savoy Hotel
Check their website: brightonsavoy.com.au
Call them for bookings: (03) 9592 8233
Brighton Savoy's Valentine's Day Dinner Melbourne
Enjoy music by singer/guitarist Freddy Gulino
Valentine's Day Dinner in Melbourne is best experienced in the Seaview Restaurant whilst enjoying a romantic dining experience with bay views.
A single red rose awaits your Valentine and a glass of bubbles as the sun goes down.
Rekindle the romance, first date, wedding anniversary?
Valentine's day is a perfect opportunity to spend time with your special partner.
Accommodation is also available, so why not make a real night of it with Lunch. Dinner, Bed & Breakfast, our front desk team would be delighted to assist you.
Valentine's Dinner session times
- 5.30 pm Early Session
- 7.30 pm Premium Session
- 9.30 pm Late Session
- A single red rose for your Valentine
- Three-course menu and coffee
- De Bortoli Willowglen wines, Sparkling wine, local beers and soft drinks
Valentine's Day Dinner Menu
- Smoked salmon plate, micro herbs, capers, potato crunch, lemon citrus mayo (g)
- Saffron spiced chilli prawns, basmati rice & mild red chilli sauce
- Spiced falafel discs with roast pumpkin and avocado puree (v)(g)
- Satay chicken strips, basmati rice, satay sauce, pineapple & cucumber garnish (g)
- Eye fillet steak 220g served medium with red wine jus, pomme potatoes & garlic butter(g)
- Crispy skin herbed chicken breast, seasonal vegetables, mushroom ragout, pomme potatoes & light chicken jus
- Panfried barramundi fillet, roasted tomato sauce, potato latke, seasonal vegetables (g)
- Oven-baked gnocchi with spicy tomato sauce, mozzarella, and spinach finished with truffle oil. (v)
- Eton mess, crushed meringue, whipped cream, fresh strawberries & raspberries, berry gel & honeycomb (g)
- Sticky date pudding butterscotch sauce, chocolate soil, vanilla ice cream, dates, honeycomb
- Profiteroles filled with custard served with chocolate sauce & vanilla ice cream.
Tea & coffee and after-dinner mints to conclude
Early Dinner Session $109.00 per person
Premium Dinner Session $129.00 per person
Late Dinner Session $99.00 per person
Spend the day at Pt Leo Estate
03 5989 9011
PT LEO RESTAURANT
Pt Leo Restaurant is our main dining space. Diners enjoy spectacular views overlooking our vineyard and sculpture park to Western Port Bay and Phillip Island. Our menu celebrates the region's produce, harnessing relationships with local suppliers to deliver a flavour forward, contemporary a la carte offer. Seasonal and regional food is the focus of Pt. Leo Restaurant's menu.
Settle in down on the Mornington Peninsula with a four-course lunch or dinner at Pt Leo Restaurant for $115 per person, or a delightful eight-course degustation lunch at Laura for $195 per person. Then, naturally, you can explore the beautiful sculpture park with your loved one.
Laura is contemporary fine dining at its best. It offers the guest luxury, unrivalled ingredients, sophisticated and attentive service and elevated detail at every touchpoint.
The all-weather Wine Terrace showcases local and regional Mornington Peninsula produces and adds a more casual setting to the award-winning dining spaces at Pt. Leo Estate. Guests can enjoy all Pt. Leo Estate wines and back vintages, friendly snacks and light meals in a simple and social environment. Guests can enjoy live music throughout the weekends from 1:00 pm while still taking in the same unparalleled views over the 50-acre vineyard, Sculpture Park and the coast beyond.
Stay overnight at Hotel Windsor.
Dripping in old-world charm and the glamour of a bygone era, this grand dame is something special. Lovers can sign up for the Valentine's Day Package ($699). Guests will receive a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe Room, valet parking, a bottle of Champagne, a bouquet of long-stemmed red roses, a Windsor teddy bear, private in-room breakfast and late checkout. There's also a Valentine's day version of the high tea to try on February 13 and 14.
We'll give you 10% off our rooms' best available rate when you book directly with us. No conditions. No blackout dates. Any day of the year.
Stay longer and save 25% or more. Spend three or five consecutive nights with us, and we'll sweeten the deal.*
Support local: by booking through us, you're helping to support a local business.
Book your stay at thehotelwindsor.com.au
03 9633 6000
Go on a romantic spin on the Melbourne Star.
Private Catered Cabins
In partnership with Peter Rowland
Melbourne Star has partnered with Peter Rowland to bring food lovers exquisite delectable bites sky high.
Since 1962 Peter Rowland have been dedicated to crafting special celebrations, whether it's a birthday, anniversary, or a gathering of friends.
Dip into something delicious and indulge in some 'Pretty Fly Savoury Bites' or a generous serving of 'Un-Brie-leavably Cheesy' goodness.
More of a sweet tooth? We have you covered with treats' Just As Sweet As You'. Enjoy options galore of sweet and savoury flavoursome bites, or indulge in a 'Sky High Tea'.
Experience the star attraction of Melbourne Star and tantalise those taste buds below!
The best value Melbourne Star return flight bundle!
Melbourne Star is not just one memorable experiences – it's TWO! Day and night – just for you.
Enjoy Melbourne's stunning sights by day, with views stretching from Melbourne's CBD and Port Phillip through to Mount Macedon and the Dandenong Ranges in the distance.
Then come back within 14 days, in the evening, when Melbourne's city lights take over, creating a glittering wonderland outside your cabin window.
Plus, delights to enjoy during your Melbourne Star experience include your beverage choice and a digital photo pass to ensure you relive the memories for years to come.
Get our best value return flight bundle online with a fantastic saving of over 55% off! This is our unbeatable value bundle by far.
Book you ride at melbournestar.com . Call 03 8688 9688
Hot Air Ballooning Over The Hunter Valley
- Experience the bliss of hot air ballooning
- Spectacular views and photo opportunities
- Experienced pilots with expert local knowledge
Experience the exhilaration of a sunrise hot air balloon flight over the Hunter Valley followed by an a la carte breakfast for two. Peaceful yet exhilarating, the flight lasts for approximately one hour. The perfect hot air ballooning experience set high above the Hunter Valley!
- 1-hour hot air ballooning over the beautiful Hunter Valley
- A la carte breakfast for each person at a local winery
- A glass of sparkling wine for each person
Located just two hours north of Sydney and forty-five minutes from Newcastle, the Hunter Valley - Australia's premier vineyard region - offers the perfect backdrop for the flight of a lifetime. Hop aboard a daily sunrise balloon flight over the spectacular vineyards of the Hunter Valley. Share the magic of an hour-long balloon flight with fellow balloonists, and then celebrate your exciting adventure over a gourmet a la carte breakfast and champagne celebration. Experience the Hunter Valley from a perspective like no other.
- Please allow approximately four hours in total from check in to champagne breakfast.
- The flight itself is one hour.
- Meeting time is approximately 45 minutes before sunrise (depending on the time of year, this can be any time from 4.00 am to 6.30 am)
- You must call the supplier between 5 - 6 pm on the night before your flight to confirm departure time.
Visit this website for bookings: redballoon.com
Picnic in the Royal Botanic Gardens
Book you picnic now!
- Indulgent picnic menu curated by renowned chef Luke Nguyen
- A gorgeous blend of South East Asian flavours with native Australian ingredients
- Find a tranquil spot in Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens
Watch the world go by as you enjoy a divine picnic curated by Luke Nguyen in the heart of the Royal Botanic Gardens. Simply pick up your picnic box from Botanic House, find a shady spot under a tree canopy and dig into all the restaurant's favourite dishes paired with a bottle of wine.
- Picnic box for two curated by Luke Nguyen
- A bottle of sparkling, white, red or rose wine
While away, a gorgeous afternoon amongst flora and fauna of the Royal Botanic Gardens enjoying an indulgent picnic curated by Luke Nguyen. All you need to do is collect your picnic box from Botanic House at your selected time and find a tranquil spot in the gardens' expanse. The box features an array of savoury and sweet treats, expertly blending South East Asian flavours, Australian produce and native ingredients with a fresh, modern twist. Savour likes spring rolls, honey pork charcoal bao and cream caramel pudding with coconut sponge cake paired with a bottle of wine.
Picnic Box Menu (Subject to change)
- Edamame and avocado salsa, sesame rice crackers, lemon olive oil (v, VG, GF)
- Mushroom, cabbage and corn spring rolls and Asian herbs (v, VG)
- Roast duck salad, pickled vegetables, palm heart, chilli jam dressing
- Honey Pork charcoal bao with pickled vegetable and Sriracha mayo
- Vietnamese coffee tres leches, miso caramel, Chinese almond cookie
- Cream caramel pudding, coconut sponge cake (GF)
- Totara Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough NZ
- First Creek' Botanica' Semillion, Hunter Valley, NSW-ORGANIC
- Twelve Signs Field Blend Rosé Hilltops, NSW
- Saltram 1859 Shiraz, Barossa Valley, SA
- You can enjoy your picnic at your own pace
- Available Wednesday to Sunday only
- Please order your picnic with a minimum of 24 hours notice
- The latest pick-up time is 14:30 hrs
Sleepover at Melbourne Zoo For 2
- Experience Melbourne Zoo after dark
- Camp out in the Historic Elephant Exhibit
- Enjoy a sumptuous dinner, supper and breakfast
Be one of the lucky few to sleepover at the Zoo! Discover Melbourne Zoo after dark, guided by camp hosts. Enjoy a delicious dinner, supper and breakfast in the Historic Elephant Exhibit. In the morning, meet the keepers to learn about life behind-the-scenes before exploring all the Zoo offers.
Exclusive to RedBalloon
This experience can only be found on RedBalloon.
- Overnight camping at Melbourne Zoo in tents (suitable for 2 adults)
- Dinner, supper, and breakfast
- Admission to the Zoo the following day
- Guided night tour to discover nocturnal creatures
- Experience life behind-the-scenes
- Refreshments on arrival
- Toilets are within walking distance and are open all night
Melbourne Zoo invites you to be one of the lucky few to experience the Zoo after dark! You will have the unique opportunity to wine, dine and sleep in the Historic Elephant Exhibit. Enjoy a Safari Dinner before discovering the mystery of the Zoo after dark. Hear, smell and see nocturnal creatures, whilst exchanging stories with your camp hosts. After supper, retire to your tent for a well-deserved night's sleep.
Wake in the morning for breakfast before meeting passionate zookeepers to learn about life behind-the-scenes. Enjoy the rest of the day exploring all Melbourne Zoo has to offer, with the chance to experience close-up animal encounters.
- This experience is available on Thursdays and Sundays (subject to availability)
- Start time is 6.30 pm
- Guests are free to spend the rest of the day in the Zoo
- Please note experience doesn't run in the colder winter months, from June – Aug
Try this experience by visiting their website.
Learn A Dance Of Love At The Immigration Museum
Anyone who loves to dance or likes the idea of dancing but isn't quite sure how The Immigration Museum has you sorted. It'll be open late for Latin Valentine in honour of the Mexican tradition El Día del Amor y la Amistad (The Day of Love and Friendship). Entry is just $20 each (or a little extra for a sultry dance workshop or a chocolate and tequila tasting) for a night of salsa dancing, afro beats, cocktails, street food, etc. mariachi love song dedications. To celebrate the importance of spiritual and familial love, there's also speed friending sessions, personalised compliment cards and a Polaroid photo booth.
Check Immigration Meseum
See A Film At Barefoot Cinema
Keep your shoes on this summer as Barefoot Cinema has been postponed for the summer of 2020-21, but we can't wait to see you next summer! On the bright side, 2020 is now behind us! Sign up here for news, offers and announcements. Stay safe!
Feel the grass beneath your feet and the breeze on your face as the silver screen lights up at this multi-venue outdoor cinema. After springing to life in Portsea in 2016, Barefoot Cinema now also screens films in Mount Martha, Elsternwick and the new 2020 venue of Victorian State Rose Garden at Werribee Park over summer. Tickets are $22 a pop, so BYO picnic and pick up a bottle of vino from the bar.
Book your ticket here.
Call 0424 086 955
Valentine's Day Helicopter Flights
A helicopter date on Valentine's Day will be a perfect idea. Your partner will love this one in a lifetime experience. Mile High Australi is offering Helicopter rides at an affordable price. They have exclusive flights during Valentine's day. You can check their website for more information.
Melbourne City Flight's inclusions:
- Approximately 20 – 25 minutes
- Undoubtedly the best picturesque tours in Melbourne,
- Private Helicopter ride
- Photographic opportunity with the helicopter and pilot before and after the flight
- Beginning with the Bayside Beaches and Marina's
- Closely following, Melbourne's Iconic Sporting Grounds by air
- City Landscapes and Architecture
- St.kilda and Beaches
- Albert Park Lake
- Historical Shrine of Remembrance
- Arts Centre
- Eureka Tower,
- Finishing with the Westgate and Bolte Bridges before returning back to Moorabbin Airport.
Flights are suitable for singles, couples, or groups as large as 6 and people of any age group.
Romantic Scenic Flights
We have several Scenic flights that offer perfect views. Take this Melbourne tour with a loved one.
Add 12 medium stemmed red roses for $99
Book your flight at milehighaustralia.com.au. Call 03 9221 6271
Sunset Sparkling Wine Cruise by Catamaran
An evening out in Fremantle doesn't get much better than sunset sailing on a luxury catamaran. You and your partner or friend can watch the day turn into night, and the stars begin to shine as you sip on a complimentary glass of sparkling wine. BYO welcome also.
- Experience a magical WA sunset over the Indian ocean
- Get involved with hoisting the sails, or just kick back and relax!
- Keep an eye out for dolphins!
- A two-hour cruise on a luxury 12.5m catamaran
- A glass of sparkling wine
- Shared antipasto/nibbles
- Guests get 10% off at Cicerello's restaurant
Experience the magnificent west coast sunset from the ocean and watch Fremantle; the port and harbour come alive with a kaleidoscope of colour as you sail off into the sunset.
Set sail into the magic waters of the Cockburn Sound, and if you're lucky enough, you may even be joined by a pod of dolphins who love to play around Capella's bow. From September until December, there is also the chance of encountering humpback whale mothers with their calves as they head south for the summer months.
Your vessel is a luxury appointed 12.5m Schionning-designed state of the art sailing catamaran, noted for its stable ride. There's none of that sideways tilting you get on single-hulled sailing vessels, meaning your drink stays exactly where you left it!
Your journey will start and finish at the world-famous Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour, where guests can receive 10% off the food menu at Cicerello's upon presentation of your ticket.
- The cruise is approximately two hours in duration
- It runs on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays between September and April, subject to availability
- The experience provider will always confirm a booking time
Wine Making Experience
Become a winemaker for the day with this interactive experience from wine experts Penfolds. Enter the winemaking lab and blend your delicious drop using Grenache, Shiraz and Mataro - the same wines used to make the iconic Penfolds Bin 138. After the class, you get to take your creation home!
- Hour-long interactive winemaking class
- Bottle of your blend to take home with you
- Experienced and knowledgable host/instructor
This interactive class teaches you how to blend wine, a perfect activity for those who love to know the process behind their favourite wines. Held at Penfolds Barossa Valley, you and a friend will be able to create your delicious concoction using Grenache, Shiraz and Mataro - the same wines they use to create the popular Penfolds Bin 138. Once you've put the finishing touches on your blend and taste test, of course, it will be bottled, ready for you to take home with you to enjoy with family and friends.
- Blend your wine to take home
- Interactive, hands-on experience
- Perfect for wine lovers
You can book your winemaking date here.
3 -Course Steakhouse Dinner Date
Sit down for a sophisticated steakhouse dining experience with a loved one. Indulge in a mouth-watering three-course menu designed from paddock to plate, perfectly paired with a glass of wine. Their world-class meat and produce are set to wow even the most discerning guests!
- Premium cuts of meat in specially crafted dishes
- A glass of wine each
- Stylish restaurant interiors
- Three-course dinner for two people
- A glass of house selected wine each
Enjoy a sumptuous steakhouse dinner in a casual yet contemporary restaurant in Southbank, featuring stylish industrial decor and superb service. Tuck into a selection of succulent meat complemented with chips, salad, wine and dessert. The restaurant prides itself on delivering world-class products with its menu, including the premium line of Monte Beef, some of Australiaâ€™s finest Angus producers.
Entree - Your choice of:
- Boerewors - Coriander, cumin and beef sausage, sweet & sour capsicum salsa
- Wagyu Tartare - Finely diced Wagyu fillet, smoked yolk, pickled cucumber, mustard & toasted crostini
- Chilli Glazed Pork Belly Sticky chilli glazed pork belly with shaved cabbage slaw
Main - Please choose one each. FROM THE MONTE PADDOCK Monte is the premium line of beef exclusively sourced for The Meat & Wine Co. Monte cuts are grilled to your liking in our unique basting.
- Wagyu Rump 250g (450D, MB 6+) - Served with crunchy chips or farm salad and your choice of mushroom or peppercorn sauce
- Portuguese Chicken Skewer - Peri-peri spiced chicken thighs with lemon. Served with crunchy chips or farm salad and your choice of mushroom or peppercorn sauce
- Lamb Rump 250g marinated lamb rump with wagyu fat roasted potatoes, carrot puree, raspberry veal jus
- Chocolate & Hazelnut Fondant Classic in-house baked fondant with a melted white chocolate centre with hazelnut praline ice cream
* These are sample menus and are subject to change seasonally.
Where to have a 3-Course Steakhouse Dinner Date? Check here.
Virtual Murder Mystery Party at Home
Bring the excitement and thrill of a murder mystery party into your home with this virtual experience! With over 15 different stories available for you to choose from, there will be a theme to suit everyone and anyone. Channel your favourite movie star, indulge in a night of glamour in Hollywood Scandal or transport your guests to the flower power era in Hippie Homicide 1960s. Whatever you choose, come prepared for a night full of intrigue and trickery. You will work in virtual teams to sleuth for clues and piece together your findings to expose the killer. Even though this experience is entirely virtual, you're still encouraged to dress the part.
Please note: Upon purchase, you will receive a voucher in your email. To activate this experience, you must redeem your voucher on the RedBalloon website and request any date and time. Instructions on how to redeem your voucher will be stated on the voucher itself. Once confirmed, the provider will contact you directly and go through all the game options. You will then be sent all the necessary information and details on how to run your experience.
- Bring the excitement of a murder mystery party into your home
- Play with 2 to 15 people from anywhere in the world
- Over 15 storylines available to choose from
Settle in for a thrilling evening of intrigue and excitement as you experience a virtual murder mystery party in your own home! Tune into the session and dress the part, working in virtual teams to hunt for clues and expose the killer. With over 15 games to choose from, this will be a killer party.
Check the availability here.
How to Have the Best Valentine's Day Ever
Put a Personal Touch on It
This is such a commercialised holiday; adding a personal touch to Valentine's Day is guaranteed to make a lasting impression. "Make her favourite dessert from scratch or [get] concert tickets to her favourite band. It doesn't have to be over the top, but prove that you know her better than she thinks," says Sarah Patt, matchmaker and dating expert with It's Just Lunch Houston.
Warning: Giving the gift of lingerie can be extremely dangerous, especially if the relationship is somewhat new, says Patt, and typically means you only have one thing on the brain. She warns: "Be more creative and save yourself the potential backfire."
Make Sure to Celebrate
She said she doesn't care about Valentine's Day. Don't be stupid. Of course, she does. "Yes, Valentine's Day is completely commercialised and cheesy, but save yourself the breakup and do something nice for the special lady in your life," says Patt. "Whether it's a simple card or a romantic dinner, just make sure to show her that you cared enough to put some effort into the day."
Focus on the Little Things
"It's easy to buy something shiny from an expensive brand, but if you take the time to buy her an array of smaller things that hit on different points of her personality and interests, I think that goes a long way in showing how much you really know her," says Bobby Rossi, co-founder of Headlines & Heroes.
Start the Day Special and End the Day Special!
Make this Valentine's Day one you'll both cherish and remember from the start of the day until your head hits the pillow that night. You're both worth it!
Quality Time Together
QUALITY TIME TOGETHER IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GIFT YOU CAN GIVE ONE ANOTHER ON THIS VERY SPECIAL DAY, OR ANY OTHER DAY FOR THAT MATTER! Need we say more?!