In love with boho? I’ve got something special for you tonight, as we are about to see must-have boho casual outfits you can try on this time. Trust me, and you’re going to be wowed to find your favourites that can be worn from Mondays to Sundays! I tried to find only the best wardrobe ideas you all need this year. Why am I so impressed by this style? It’s all about the popularity of the bohemian trend that can be seen on the streets, at glamour fashion shows, catwalks and even at work. I’ve made up a list of classic and timeless essentials you can wear from mornings to late evenings. All in all, it’s time to maximise your wardrobe’s versatility! Get inspired right now.
Table of Contents
WHERE ARE THE ROOTS OF THE BOHEMIAN STYLES?
The whole thrust of the hippie movement was about breaking free from the confines of the social structures of the 50s and early 60s, with their stereotyped roles and rigid expectations. Hippies idealised a free lifestyle, opened themselves up to new experiences, and refused to be pigeon-holed into someone else’s idea of what was acceptable. The bohemian style was about embodying the principles of these ideas, such as free-flowing fabrics and designs, rather than a slavish adoption of a single design feature.
WHAT IS BOHO-STYLE CLOTHING?
First things first, before diving into style guides and cute outfit inspiration, we need to make sure we’re all on the same page. Many of the lesser devout followers of the boho-trend, might be thinking ‘what even is boho-style clothing?’ Fear not, there’s still time for you to join the club.
Basically, boho is short for bohemian (easy enough, right). Broadly, boho is a style of dress inspired by the lifestyle of free spirits and hippies of the 1960s and 1970s. Even further back, the Bohemians were a group of artists who congregated in Paris in 1900 (think Moulin Rouge, the movie with Nicole Kidman). Either way, the boho-style has always been regarded as eclectic, free-spirited, and energetic (very much like TC Elli’s).
Today, this hippy-look has become what we call ‘boho-chic.’ Characterised by long flowing skirts and dresses, peasant blouses (or what many simply call boho tops), embroidery, embellishment, fringe, and gladiator sandals, the boho look has evolved quite a bit since the ’60s. Worn by celebrities and festival-goers year after year, you can be sure that this trend will present itself one way or another each season.
HOW TO STYLE BOHO CASUAL OUTFITS
To avoid looking like you’ve stepped straight out of the Woodstock documentary, boho-chic pieces should be worn in moderation and styled to match current trends. To guide you in the right direction, we’ve created a few fashion formulas that will help you put together casual boho outfits with ease.
- Peasant bow-tied 3/4 sleeved blouse is an ideal match for these washed blue flared jeans. Don’t forget to add a fringed and printed shoulder bag and maroon fringed ankle-boots. By the way, this is a perfect look for casual weekends.
- Crochet multi-printed tank dress looks chic, and Coachella inspired. Try it on with heeled sandal clogs, black fringed backpack and cream-white fedora hat, in love with heart-shaped sunglasses.
- Another great outfit for spending fresh weekends open-air. We see cream-peach jacquard printed white maxi skirt paired with a sheer tank top in cream-pink covered with white crochet blouse. Finish this look by adding pastel-peach flat sandals and embellished shoulder bag.
- The off-shoulder crispy-white ruffled crop top can be an ideal match for cuffed denim shorts and cream-grey espadrilles. That’s a nice outfit for walking down the beach during the day or casual meetings with friends.
- Chambray light blue tunic top with an embroidered white collar ideally suits crispy white denim shorts. You can add a wide metallic bronze belt, fringed suede thong sandals and embroidered shoulder bag in cream-brown leather. Don’t forget about some funky accessories, like a multicoloured bracelet and heart-shaped sunglasses.
- Multi-printed gypsy style tunic-dress looks awesome worn with a dark-brown suede vest embellished with fringes. Try it on with black fedora hat and clogs sandals.
- Light cream brown cocoon cat looks modern and creative. Try it on with a white crochet blouse tucked into a high-waisted multi-printed skirt. I do recommend adding maroon fedora hat, rounded black sunglasses, and peep-toe camel coloured booties. If it’s a bit windy outside, then the best addition might be a ribbed knit white scarf.
- V-neck sleeveless white sheath dress with perforated details looks voguish and creative. Style it with a brimmed cream-beige hat, thong-sandals, straw tote bag and oversized sunglasses.
- Here you can find awesome bohemian chic outfits 2017 and how to look like a real boho girl. Spaghetti strap white crop top with a cool print on its front side looks boho inspired. Try on this wardrobe piece with high-waisted washed blue denim shorts, embroidered thong sandals and fringed knitted shoulder bag.
- Khaki-green wide-shoulder ruffled top matches printed boho style shorts. You can finish this look by adding strappy black gladiator sandals, fringed suede charcoal bag, grey fedora hat and simple white cotton tote bag.
- Navy-blue blazer with white outlines looks perfectly worn atop white tank top tucked in black-white gingham print flared skirt. This outfit looks classy boho to me. Complete it with glossy yellow flat pumps and matching colour skinny bow belts.
- A lightweight printed blouse looks relaxed, casual and easy-to-style! You can simply pair it with regular fit washed blue jeans, fringed grey leather bucket bag and grey-blush flat sandals.
- An embellished tank top in slim-fit will be a perfect addition to this knife-pleated maxi skirt. This two-piece dress reminds me of a boho-goddess gown. Try it on with an embroidered clutch and cute sandals.
- Hello to gypsy boho must-haves! We see a voguishly printed gypsy style blouse worn with dark maroon jeans, cream-beige fringed heeled ankle-boots, black fur vest and maroon floppy hat.
- Washed blue flared jeans with front patch pockets can be an ideal match for V-neck peasant blouse, ribbed knit V-neck cream-white cardigan and washed grey boots.
- Please welcome a simple boho casual look that consists of ripped washed blue flared jeans, cream-red sleeveless shirt, straw wide-brim floppy hat and cream-brown fringed shoulder bag.
- Floral print short-sleeve shift dress can be styled with country-inspired flat sandals, burnt orange suede satchel bag and aviator light-blush sunglasses.
- This outfit can be named as boho normcore minimalism! We see a dusted blush sweater with a slouchy neck teamed with a knitted asymmetric grey-white long skirt and white-grey pointed-toe pumps.
- Mid-rise washed blue skinnies look boho chic teamed with a crispy white ruffled blouse and black leather flat sandals.
- Bow-tie cream-blue blouses with bell sleeves can be tucked in geometric patterned tailored pants. Try these pieces teamed with pastel blue loafers embellished with tassels. By the way, this is a perfect outfit for work hours.
- DENIM SKIRT + BILLOWY BLOUSE = For a playful take on boho-chic, mix together some denim shorts with a loose blouse. This version of boho-chic can be worn a variety of ways, so experiment with pops of print. Our TCE girl opts for a flirty floral crop top, our wash out denim skirt, and minimalistic jewellery. For chilly nights, try pairing with a cardigan or jacket.
- BRIGHT COLORS + STATEMENT TANK + SUNNIES = Bold colours will have their moment in the spotlight this spring. Pair your favourite shorts with your go-to statement tank top and add some fun sunnies for a look that’s effortless, boho-chic, and bold all at once.
- WIDE-LEG PANT + PLATFORM SANDALS = Every bit of this flowy outfit screams effortless chic. A huge trend for spring 2018, wide-leg pants will keep your boho look fresh—pair with classic platform sandals, and some simple dangly jewellery for just a touch of bohemian.
- TWO-PIECE SET + WHITE SANDALS = Bring a touch of minimalism to your cute boho look by pairing a loose two-piece set with all-white sandals, a staple for spring 2018.
- Ensemble Observation Knit Dress: It’s simple to discern that you look rather dashing in this knit dress from our ModCloth namesake label! What’s not so apparent to the onlooker is just how comfortable you feel all wrapped up in the short sleeves, gathered waist, and hand-drawn floral-and-geometric print of this navy blue A-line.
- Border Wrap Dress: Who doesn’t love a wrap dress?! Our new border print maxi dress with subtle ruffle details is so feminine and flattering! It makes the perfect dress for any occasion!
- Seeing Eye to Eyelet Lace Dress: If you find this white dress to be ‘a little bit country, and a little bit rock and roll,’ then we see eye to ‘eyelet!’ Featuring a floral eyelet pattern and long sheer sleeves with fluttery shoulders, this lacy A-line from our ModCloth label is much welcomed and adored. Show this beauty off at festivals, parties, and other daytime events.
- Easy Elegance Midi Dress: Lovely and lightweight, this blue midi dress is versatile enough to be worn almost anywhere. Created by Louche, this long-sleeve frock draws on 70s inspiration with its ruffled hemline, flowy fit, timeless star pattern, and essential side pockets.
- Let Me Double-Check Maxi Dress: The best part of this evening’s plan is your choice to wear this red-and-black maxi dress for the occasion. The classic checkered pattern atop a lightweight fabrication, long sheer sleeves, and square neck of this A-line beauty ensure your style is celebrated! Balance this beauty with combat boots and a cardigan.
- Jamie Jumpsuit: Meet your new favourite Jumpsuit! This Border Print Jumpsuit is so comfy and flattering, dressed up or down! The printed wide-leg pant bottom makes it flowy and fun to wear. It features a flattering v-neck front neckline, adjustable straps, and contrast ruffle detail at the bottom of the pant legs. Oh, and it has pockets which everyone loves! You will literally want to wear this everywhere! We know we sure do!
- Megan Maxi Dress: Meet your new favourite Maxi dress! This beautiful and feminine tiered dress features an A-line silhouette, lace inset detail, and the most delicate adjustable straps. It is flowy and generously cut which everyone loves! It makes the perfect dress for every occasion!
- True Sunseeker Tie-Shoulder Dress: This white midi dress evokes a sense of sunny-weather style. Patterned in colourful florals, with adjustable shoulder ties, and a double-V neckline, this lightweight sundress enchants with fashionable ease!
- Megan Dress: Meet your new favourite dress! This feminine tiered dress features the most beautiful lace inset and delicate adjustable strap details. It is flowy and generously cut which everyone loves! It makes the perfect dress for every occasion!
- Sociable Scholar Corduroy Jumper: Interacting with fellow intellects is a stylish act in this vintage-inspired jumper! Adjustable straps with dark silver hardware, pockets with buttoned flap detailing, and wide cords make this teal, ModCloth namesake label onesie the loveliest possible piece for a student of life to live in.
- Gracie Pant: We live for comfy things in life! These tiered flowy pants feature a beautiful allover print, flattering flat front waistband, and fun ruffle detail on the leg. Dressed up or down, they’ll look so cute paired with any of our tanks and tees! You’ll literally want to wear them every day!
- Sunny Resort Floral Maxi Dress: With a needed getaway on the horizon, it only fits that this blue-and-green maxi dress from Eliza J claims its spot in your suitcase. Draped in a tropical floral print and knotted at the bust with comfortable smocking at the back, this flowy sundress is perfect for flaunting seaside and beyond.
- Hanna Skirt: Flowy tiers and great prints are two of our favourite things! We just love this new mixed print tiered maxi skirt so much! It is so comfy and easy to wear pairs perfectly with all of our tanks and tees!
- Smocked Jumpsuit: Everything is better when you’re wearing a jumpsuit! This easy-to-wear jumpsuit features a stretchy smocked design, wide-leg silhouette & a raw edge hem making it easy to cut and no hemming required!
WHERE TO WEAR YOUR BOHO OUTFITS
If you’re not feeling quite so bold as to wear your cute boho outfits on the daily, there are still plenty of opportunities to let your bohemian side shine.
Music Festivals- Likely the most obvious choice to break out your boho-chic wardrobe is at music festivals. Coachella, the yearly festival in the California desert is a haven for wearing boho clothing. Yes, most people are there for the music, but it’s also the place where performers, celebs, and stylish concert-goers alike display their latest boho outfits. For those of us who can’t make it out to the California Desert, there are still a great number of festivals perfect for us boho-chic-loving gals.
Evening Wear- With beading, silk and fur accents, boho-chic looks can easily translate to evening wear. The long silhouettes of maxi dresses that many of us steer clear of during the day are perfect for an elegant nighttime look.
On the Beach- If you’ve ever felt inspired to don a sarong a la Brigitte Bardot on the beach (headscarf included), look no further than boho beachwear.
Weddings- Your own wedding might be ages away, but it’s never too early to start planning… right? If that secret “Dream Weddings’ Pinterest board of yours is dotted with flower crowns, pastel bridesmaids dress, and rustic engagement pics, a boho wedding might be in your future.
Once you realise that an effortlessly casual look requires lots of effort beforehand, then getting the boho-chic look right is simplicity itself. Limit your layering to a few essential items, and always aim for a co-ordinated whole. Mix fitted items with looser ones, and think about how to flaunt your best features whilst disguising your less favourable ones. Opt for subtle patterns mixed with unfussy plain fabrics, so you don’t create an over-busy impression, and above all, make the style your own rather than slavishly copy a celebrity outfit that doesn’t let your own unique personality shine through.