Do you want radiant, glowing skin? Charcoal masks are perfect for this! They have been used in beauty routines for centuries and keep your skin healthy and happy.
No one charcoal mask can be the best because everyone's skin is different, so it is important to find what works best. The best charcoal face masks for beautiful skin are those that are simple to use and affordable.
This blog post will share with you the best charcoal face masks for beautiful skin. We break down some of my favourite charcoal face masks below with their pros and cons to help you make your decision easier!
Table of Contents
- 0.1 Best Charcoal Face Masks For Detoxifying Skin
- 0.2 Ovi Skin Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.3 Sur Medic + Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.4 L'oreal Paris Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.5 Clinique Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.6 Honua Skin Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.7 Biore Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.8 Clark Botanicals Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.9 Pure Heals Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.10 Clari Sea Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.11 Rituals Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.12 Olay Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.13 Versed Skin Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.14 Gold Mountain Beauty Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.15 PCA Skin Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.16 Beneath Your Mask - Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.17 One Love Organics Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.18 Glam Glow Charcoal Face Mask
- 0.19 Neutrogena Charcoal Face Mask
- 1 Frequently Asked Question About Charcoal Face Mask
- 1.1 How To Apply A Charcoal Face Mask & The Types Available?
- 1.2 Is a charcoal face mask the right choice for you?
- 1.3 How to apply a charcoal face mask?
- 1.4 How often should you apply a charcoal face mask?
- 1.5 Is a charcoal face mask good for you?
- 1.6 Do charcoal face masks stain clothes?
- 1.7 Are charcoal face masks supposed to burn?
- 1.8 What results do charcoal peel-off masks produce?
Best Charcoal Face Masks For Detoxifying Skin
Ovi Skin Deep Cleansing & Detoxifying Face Mask
Our mineral-rich, age-defying Volcanic Ash facial mask gently absorbs oil, helping to reduce large-sized pores and eliminate built-up impurities leaving tired and stressed skin feeling energetic, vibrant and whole again. OVI is a powerful raw detoxifier & cleanser made for stressed and sensitive skin with natural oils and rich nutrients found from volcanic islands worldwide.
- Detoxify, tighten and brighten your skin.
- Vegan & cruelty-free.
- Remove impurities built up in pores.
- Natural detoxifier & cleanser.
- Assists in spot reducing pimples.
Pore-less Carbonic Peel Mask
Why You'll Love It
- We're always stoked to try a new sheet mask. This bamboo charcoal sheet mask is made with carbonated water (it doesn't feel fizzy, just super-refreshing) that clarifies impurities and gently removes dead skin cells.
- It's packed with alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA's) and beta hydroxy acids (BHA's). AHA's help gently exfoliates and improve your skin's moisture levels. While BHA's unclog pores and have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Together, they brighten up and smooth out your complexion.
- Our skin felt happy and hydrated after using it—no uncomfy tightness here.
- Each ipster will receive 2 masks.
How to Use It
Make the Most of Your Sheet Masks
- Start with clean skin.
- Smooth the sheet mask onto your face.
- Flip the mask after 5-7 minutes to soak up all the ingredients on both sides.
- Let it sit for another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the mask and pat excess serum into your skin.
Detox & Brighten Face Mask
Indulgent. Transformative. Perfectly Clean.
Transform Skin in Just 10 Minutes with these 3 Pure Clays and Charcoal Mask for Dull and Tired-looking Skin.
L'Oréal Paris Skin Experts have created a supercharged Pure-Clay face mask with the power and benefits of charcoal to detoxify and illuminate your skin in just 10 minutes. Our indulgent and powerful face mask formula provides a luxurious experience while rich pure clays and charcoal act like a magnet to clean out pores and draw out and capture deep impurities (such as dirt, oil, and pollution). This creamy, non-drying charcoal mask leaves skin feeling clean, velvety, and rebalanced, addressing your dull, tired skin to reveal a purified, even, and radiant complexion. Immediately, the skin looks brighter with a healthy glow. Our charcoal mask provides deep pore cleansing–dirt, dust and pollution are removed from the skin. Skin's complexion looks fresher and more even. Use After use, and the skin is clean as if detoxified. Skin feels as though it can breathe better.
City Block Purifying Charcoal Clay Mask + Scrub
A dual-action mask purifies and polishes skin for a delightful deep-clean treatment. Natural bamboo charcoal and kaolin clay help remove pollution and impurities, while natural silica beads gently refine texture.
This fast-acting mask works in just five minutes. Even better, it's a multitasker. Charcoal and clay work together to sop up oil, while tiny silica beads gently slough away dead skin cells for a baby-smooth face when it's time to remove; use warm water and move your fingers over your face in slow circular motions to maximise the exfoliating benefits.
What it is: A five-minute, dual-action detoxifying and exfoliating clay mask.
Who it's for: All skin types.
What it does: It purifies and polishes your skin for a delightful deep-clean treatment. Natural bamboo charcoal and kaolin clay help remove pollution and impurities, while natural silica beads gently refine your skin's texture.
How to use:
- Use 1-2 times a week.
- Apply generously to clean skin.
- Avoid the eye area.
- Leave on for five minutes or until the mask turns pale blue.
- Remove with warm water, massaging in a circular motion to exfoliate.
In addition to purifying bamboo charcoal and circulation-boosting Hawaiian chilli pepper, this mask contains a dose of turmeric to help fade dark spots and brighten your skin tone. Once a week, massage a small amount across your face (a slight tingling is normal), leave it on for 10 minutes, and then rinse.
Inspired by powerful ingredients grown throughout the Hawaiian islands, 'Āina draws its name from the land ('Āina means "land" in the Hawaiian language). 'Āina is a detoxifying mask that utilises potent plant-derived ingredients to give skin a revitalised glow. Highlight ingredients include charcoal, Kalo, turmeric, Hawaiian chilli pepper, Kamani.
Instructions For Use
Use 1-2x weekly after cleansing with the Pa'akai Cleansing Cream. Massage a dime-nickel size over the entire face and let it work its magic for 10-15 minutes. A slight tingling sensation is typical but will dissipate after a few minutes. Rinse or towel off with cool water. Follow with Hawaiian Beauty Water or go directly to Aloha Youth Serum to lock in hydration. Ideal for all skin types. The skin may experience redness due to the chilli pepper. If your skin is susceptible, please patch it before using it on your face.
This water-activated charcoal mask heats up as soon as you rub it onto your damp skin. The spa-like warmth doesn't just feel nice, and it also helps open up your pores so the charcoal can get in there and suck up dirt and oil.
Melt away the stress. Melt away the dirt and oil. Infused with natural charcoal, this warming mask opens pores and draws out dirt. It finishes with a cooling sensation for tingly-smooth skin in just one minute. Mix this charcoal face mask with water to increase heating action by 2x. Talk about turning up the heat.
- Great for Oily Skin
- Non-Comedogenic (won't clog pores)
- Dermatologist Tested
The ingredients in this luxurious mask make the price tag worth it. Two types of charcoal purify the skin, supercharged jasmine with mango, papaya, pineapple extract, loosen dead cells, and golden pearl spheres encapsulated with jojoba oil moisturised upon application. And, it's gentle enough for daily use.
Purify & Cleanse! This gentle-yet-powerful cleanser, exfoliant and mask buffs, brightens, hydrates and protects, absorbing impurities and whisking away dead cells before delivering melt-in-your-skin moisture.
- Binchotan Japanese charcoal absorbs impurities and oil without stripping skin.
- Activated charcoal powder gently exfoliates and helps to reveal fresher-looking skin.
- Mango, pineapple and papaya extracts loosen dead skin cells and help to exfoliate gently.
- The ginger extract helps to brighten the skin.
- Jasmine and tamarind extracts help to soothe and rebalance skin.
- Encapsulated jojoba oil melts upon application and helps to soften skin.
- Padina Pavonica (brown algae) helps protect against environmental pollutants.
Who it's For: All skin types in need of brightening purification.
Why You'llYou'll Love It
- This mask is formulated with activated charcoal, which dives deep into your pores to clear out blackheads, impurities, and dead skin.
- We love the immediate effects of this mask. Once you peel it off, your skin is visibly smoother and tighter.
- If you're on the oily side, this mask also minimises shine and shuts down the appearance of pores.
- K-beauty obsessed? You'reYou're going to want to add PUREHEALS to your list of Korean skincare brands to love.
How to Use It
Put This Mask to Work in the PM
- Wash your face with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply a thin layer of this charcoal mask evenly all over your face.
- Wait 15 minutes, then peel off the mask.
- Follow with moisturiser (if your skin feels dry) and hit the hay. You'llYou'll wake up with extra glowy skin!
Deep Pore Detox Activated Charcoal Exfoliating Mask
This all-natural powder mask helps clear skin and unclog pores while giving you an instantly refreshed look. A supernatural burst of Activated Bamboo Charcoal, Kaolin Clay and Organic Calendula latches onto the dirt and oil in pores, helping to clear away clogged pores and lurking breakouts.
Our clarifying sea salt brew is blended in with the clay base. The powdered salt crystals gently exfoliate as you apply the mask and then gradually dissolve into the skin to help heal and clarify as the mask dries.
In this 100 percent natural formula, activated bamboo charcoal is mixed with kaolin clay and organic calendula. Kaolin clay tones the skin, helps to control oil production and gently exfoliates away dead skin cells. Meanwhile, calendula's anti-inflammatory properties soothe the skin. These three-star ingredients are diluted in a clarifying sea salt brew for more gentle exfoliation.
If you don't have time for complete mask treatment, you can mix this product with your favourite cleanser. Simply mix equal parts mask, and cleanser then washes and rinse your face as you usually would. It'll add a bit of extra detoxing power to your routine without taking up any spare time.
How To Use:
AS A PORE CLEARING MASK: Pour a quarter-sized amount into the palm of the hand or a small bowl. Slowly add drops of water while mixing until a paste is created. Paint onto face in circular motions. Rinse off once dry. Exact: 1 teaspoon mask & 1/3-1/2 teaspoon water.
AS A PORE CLEARING CLAY CLEANSER: In the palm of the hand, blend equal parts mask and your favourite face cleanser, adding water as needed. Rub hands together to mix, gently massage into skin to cleanse, then rinse. Try it with clariSEA'sclariSEA's Purifying Cleanser or Skintox Activated Charcoal Salt Bar!
Kaolin, Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Sodium Chloride (Mineral Salt), Organic Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Activated Bamboo Charcoal Powder
Purifying Charcoal Wonder Mask
A purifying Ghassoul Powder & Black Mud treatment for deep cleansing and exfoliation of the skin. This purifying face mask helps remove impurities and waste substances, exfoliates dead skin cells and stimulates cell renewal. The result: deeply cleansed, soft and smooth skin. It contains purifying Ghassoul powder, pure Kaolin, cleansing mud, and Bamboo Charcoal powder, famous for its antioxidant properties. For all skin types.
Mix a tablespoon of powder and water into a mousse. Apply to the face, neck and décolletage with the brush. Leave for 20 minutes, then rinse off.
All Mask. No Mess.
Hit the reset button on stressed skin. Our Clay Face Mask Sticks are formulated with premium Kaolin clay that micro-exfoliates to remove skin-dulling congestion. Black Charcoal draws out impurities, reducing the appearance of pores and leaving skin soft, refined and revived. And since black charcoal is known to be tough on oil, this Pore Detox stick is perfect for your T-zone or an allover deep clean. This easy-to-apply mask lets you target specific areas on your face, so you can multi-mask for whatever your skin needs.
Talk about easy to use! This mess-free stick (infused with charcoal and kaolin clay) rolls over your face so you can target specific areas that may be oilier than others, like your T-zone. Rinse off after 10 minutes, and you'll notice smoother skin and minimized pores.
Find Clarity Purifying Mask
White and bamboo charcoal join forces with clays to detoxify your skin without drying it out. Other ways to use this mask: Put a dab on a blemish as a spot treatment or mix a little with water and use it as a cleanser on days your skin is feeling extra oily. This convenient packet is also only 1.5 ounces, so you can easily travel with it.
An acne-clearing mask made with two types of clay and two types of charcoal to detoxify (not dry out) skin. The clays (kaolin and bentonite) mildly exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells and sop up excess sebum and oil. The charcoal (binchotan white charcoal and bamboo) act as a magnet, attracting toxins and drawing impurities out of the skin. The smooth, creamy clay doesn't dry down completely, so it won't suck the life out of your skin. Instead, when you rinse, your skin feels refreshed and clean. Its handy pouch makes easy use and cleans up without taking up too much precious shelf space as an added benefit.
How To Use?
HOW: Apply an even layer to clean, dry skin. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes, and then rinse with cool water.
WHERE: Entire face.
WHEN: 1-3 times a week.
GOOD TO KNOW: Use a dab of the mask as an overnight spot treatment on pimples, or use a small amount on wet skin as a clay cleanser (great for oily skin types).
Use within 12 months once opened, or keep it on your vanity unopened for up to two years.
Activated Charcoal with Dead Sea Mud Clay Powder
This natural mask contains all sorts of skin-boosting goodies, like organic activated charcoal, dead sea and bentonite clays, witch hazel, and turmeric. Simply mix one teaspoon of the powder with a teaspoon of water. Apply a thin layer all over your face and let it dry completely before washing it off. Bonus: The powder formula gives this mask a longer shelf-life.
Thanks to soothing bisabolol (a part of the chamomile plant known for its anti-inflammatory properties) and hydrating glycerin, this detoxifying Japanese white charcoal and kaolin clay mask never makes my sensitive irritation-prone skin red or itchy—the dream.
This at-home charcoal mask minimizes the appearance of pores while absorbing excess dirt, oil and debris trapped deep in the pores.
- Japanese white charcoal and clay absorb excess dirt, oil and debris
- Minimizes the appearance of pores
- Deeply detoxifies pores and helps support a clear complexion
This multitasking powder mask legit does it all. It uses charcoal to detox pores, coconut milk extract to hydrate and smooth skin, essential minerals and vitamins to strengthen your skin barrier, and anti-inflammatory plant extracts to soothe inflammation. Mix it with a little bit of water, smooth it over your skin, and leave it on for up to 40 minutes for clearer, healthier-looking skin.
Achieve a youthful, radiant and smooth skin with this revitalising blend of detoxifying clays, superfoods and pure plant botanicals formulated to clear complexion, minimise the appearance of pores, brighten and soften skin, increase cell turnover, and promote healthy, glowing skin. Honey, rich in natural antioxidants and antimicrobial properties, acts as an anti-aging agent and moisturiser, protects skin from harmful UV rays and facilitates the skin's ability to rejuvenate. Coconut milk, packed with vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5, and B6, and copper, iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, helps maintain elasticity and flexibility of skin and prevents wrinkles, sagging skin and age spots. Additionally, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and trace elements, including niacin, riboflavin, potassium, beta-carotene, manganese and zinc from aloe vera, rose petals, camu, cacao, and Celtic sea salt combine to hydrate skin, soothe rashes and skin irritations, increase collagen production and cell rejuvenation, heal blemishes and acne scars, reduce hyper-pigmentation, promote skin elasticity, protect skin against damaging free radicals. This Holy Grail combination is both clarifying and soothing and does not leave skin dry or raw. It's great for all skin types as it balances both dry and oily skin.
- Phosphate Free
- Toxin Free
Love + Charcoal Masque
Think charcoal masks are drying and messy? We get it. We designed Love + Charcoal Masque to be different. With a superhero squad of good-for-you ingredients to give your skin a detoxifying pick-me-up, it leaves skin feeling refreshed, never depleted.
An exquisitely creamy and ultra-effective detoxifying and exfoliating masque to help clarify the complexion while extracting dirt, debris and impurities from the skin. It helps reduce the appearance of pores and blackheads and leaves your skin feeling refreshed, soft and revived.
If you're into clean beauty, then add this charcoal mask from One Love Organics to your cart ASAP. It's made with certified natural and organic ingredients like aloe, sunflower oil, kaolin clay, and charcoal powder to deep-clean your pores without over-drying your skin.
Benefits To Love
- Triple-action masque featuring lactic acid-activated charcoal and rose clay to give powerful results without drying
- Leaves skin feeling refreshed, soft and healthy-looking with noticeably prettier pores
- Rinses easily off the skin
- Synthetic fragrance-free, cruelty-free and dermatologist tested. ECOCERT/COSMOS® certified natural and organic
Instant Clearing Treatment Mask
SUPERMUD is our most advanced clearing treatment and #1 best-selling charcoal mud mask. Fights problem skin and skin imperfections with charcoal, a blend of six acids, and K-17 clay. The activated-x charcoal helps lift dirt, toxins and excess oil from the deepest and most challenging areas to purify pores. The SUPER 6 Acid Blend helps loosen dead skin cells to exfoliate and sweep them away, leaving fresh, smooth skin behind.
Visibly, instantly clears the complexion and is suitable for acne-prone skin in one use. All you need is a thin layer.
GlamGlow was one of the first mainstream brands to start using charcoal. Now, they have an entire line of them—and this one is a favourite for many.
Neutrogena Clear Pore Facial Cleanser / Face Mask
Get clearer, healthy-looking skin with Neutrogena Clear Pore Facial Cleanser / Face Mask. Designed for acne-prone skin, this product can be used as a daily facial cleanser or face mask. The dermatologist-tested formula contains powerful benzoyl peroxide acne medication to treat existing breakouts. It is formulated with oil-absorbing kaolin and bentonite clay. When used as an intensive, cleansing face mask, the formula provides a cooling sensation as it penetrates deep into pores to control oil.
Our dermatologist-tested formula features the acne-fighting power of Benzoyl Peroxide, which kills bacteria and treats existing breakouts. This breakthrough acne-fighting formula can be used two ways—as a daily face cleanser or a face mask.
Whether you use it as a daily facial cleanser to kill bacteria or as an intensive mask for deep cleansing and extra shine control, you'll feel the cooling intensity build as it penetrates the pores. Plus, it rinses clean, so your skin is left feeling smooth.
- Cleanses away dirt, oil, grime, impurities, and bacteria
- 3.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
- Kills breakout-causing bacteria
Frequently Asked Question About Charcoal Face Mask
How To Apply A Charcoal Face Mask & The Types Available?
In recent years, the skincare industry has become more aware of the beneficial properties of activated charcoal. It has grown into a hugely popular component of many people's skincare routines. You will find charcoal in a range of products, including cleansers, soaps and exfoliators. Face masks are an often-overlooked skincare addition that can unlock the full potential of activated charcoal.
Applying a face mask is a powerful way to allow your skin to absorb the cleansing and healing properties of the active ingredients. Charcoal face masks can treat and prevent facial issues such as acne and blackheads. This article will look at why charcoal face masks are a great option for your skincare routine and walk you through the dos and don'ts of using a charcoal face mask.
Is a charcoal face mask the right choice for you?
The main benefit of activated charcoal is that it is highly absorbent. When applied to the face, charcoal is extremely effective at drawing chemicals and toxins out of the skin. The people who will see the greatest benefit from charcoal face masks are those with oily skin. If you have dehydrated skin and use charcoal masks frequently, you may find that a charcoal face mask causes your skin to dry out as the activated charcoal absorbs moisture.
The key benefits of charcoal are as follows:
- It can help improve acne
- It can remove impurities to restore that all-important chemical balance
- It clears dirt off the skin
- It unclogs pores to avoid blackheads
Charcoal offers a deep cleanse for your skin and is even known to soothe insect bites and skin irritations, as it is capable of drawing out toxins and reducing swelling.
How to apply a charcoal face mask?
In order to get the most out of a charcoal face mask, it's important to follow the correct procedures when applying it. Here are the steps you should follow to do it right:
- Cleanse your skin before use. Cleansing first will remove oil and dirt from the skin's surface that would otherwise act as a barrier between the face mask and your skin, reducing its effectiveness. It also helps to open your pores, so you get maximum results from a charcoal mask.
- Apply the face mask evenly over your entire face. Ensure you use gentle, circular motions with your hands or a soft brush. Avoid applying it too close to your eyes and lips.
- Leave the face mask on for the length of time recommended in the instructions. Usually, you should leave a face mask on for seven to ten minutes. Don't leave it for longer, as it will begin to draw moisture from your skin.
- Rinse off the mask gently using warm water.
- Dry your face with a clean, soft towel. Don't rub the towel on your skin - you should simply press it against your face to dry it.
- Apply a moisturiser that will not clog your pores. A moisturiser will prevent your skin from becoming dry after using a charcoal mask.
How often should you apply a charcoal face mask?
For most people, applying a charcoal face mask twice a week will be plenty to keep issues with oil and impurities under control. If you have particularly oily skin, it may be necessary to use it a maximum of 3-4 times per week.
Is a charcoal face mask good for you?
As long as you follow the right processes and avoid common mistakes, charcoal face masks are good for many people. However, everyone's skin is different, so that it won't be right for every skin type. We recommend avoiding using charcoal masks frequently if you have dry skin. You should also be careful not to use charcoal masks too often if you have sensitive skin.
Do charcoal face masks stain clothes?
If you get the activated charcoal on your clothes, it can leave a stain. However, there are plenty of guides online to help minimise that stain or even eliminate it.
Are charcoal face masks supposed to burn?
No - if you feel a burning or other irritation on your skin, then remove the face mask and don't use it again. Consult a skin care specialist to find an alternative that will work for you.
What results do charcoal peel-off masks produce?
By removing the outermost layer of skin and hair from your face, charcoal peel-off masks leave a layer of healthy, fresh skin. They also pull dirt and toxins from deep within your pores so that your skin looks soft and smooth.