Unconventional wedding vows are becoming more and more popular.
As people evolve and more people move away from religion, it may leave a gap in the vow section of their weddings. Furthermore, even those who are religious are starting to be more lenient in certain sects and with such practices.
This leaves a little room for unconventional wedding vows and a creative touch on ones once in a lifetime wedding ceremony. In this article, we will go over how to write wedding vows unconventionally.
So, we have some discretion, some creativity, and some motivation but where to start?
Let’s review the most common and original wedding vows.
Obviously, some names…
Through sickness and in health.
For better or worse.
For rich or for poor.
Until death does us part.
Ok. So mostly, we are trying to get these points across, and we can use these as a template. These words said this way can be a little rough, very real, and quite cliché. We want to avoid clichés, and we want to be just as dangerous, without sounding like a holy book. (If you do want to sound that way that’s ok too. This guide is mostly for alternative wedding vows).
If your reading this, you’re already doing the right thing. Research. Read different vows. Read through various religions, and/ or other peoples’ original promises. Take a chance to absorb the general concepts and points of view of what vows mean to different people. And of course, how they are describing those feelings. Think about what you want to say. Think about how you are going to say it.
Try and answer some simple questions:
- What attracts you most on your partner?
- Why do you want to marry this person?
- Why do you think you can live forever with him/her?
- What things are you willing to sacrifice, to be with him/her?
- What changes do you think marriage will bring to your life?
- What is your most favorite memory of your partner?
- What are the top 3 memories you have from your life together with your partner?
Find a way to initiate with your address. Not the place you live. Address the person that you are marrying. Your partner. Use their name if you find it tasteful and be sure to start with this fundamental component of your vows. This step is not necessary, but to some, it is desired. It created some sort of record. It may be redundant, but it is a bit more formal.
If you and your partner share things like hobbies or interests, you may want to include some. This is a very cliché example but its ok for this article I suppose: If two people, let’s say, were sailors.
They could then use a creative commonality and say something like: “You’ll be my captain, I’ll be your first mate.” Something like that.
This whole thing is about promises right? Try to think about what marriage means to you. Some questions to stir up ideas: What will be different about your bond after you declare commitment? Why are you with this person?
What do they give you that you didn’t have before? And what do you give them that they formerly didn’t have? How are you stronger together? Outline these ideas.
There are so many ways to describe time. Here you are trying to explain forever. Marriage is usually about forever. If you are a Viking, you can ignore this tip (just kidding Vikings). For years and years, people have been trying to describe love forever. Eternal commitment. This is an opportunity to do so. This part is easily one of the most critical parts of your vows. Again, look at your personality traits.
To use the sailors as an example again (even though they are an awful cliché) they might say: until the sun refuses to set. Or something corny like that! Corny because they are an example couple. Yours won’t be corny. Your vows will be lovely and original! After reading this, you will have a better idea of how to write wedding vows.
Discuss with your partner
Chances are your reading this together in preparation. If not, definitely share your vows with your partner beforehand. You want to have similar vows if you are having a proper ceremony. You also don’t want to embarrass your partner potentially. If you spend a whole bunch of time writing elegant, well thought out vows and your partner hasn’t, it may be a bit embarrassing for them or the ceremony in general. Best to keep things smooth and go over them beforehand. Especially if you have time before your wedding.
If you have lots of time before your wedding, you can write a draft. Write a draft now or soon. Sit on it for a while or even keep a notebook. This way when you have a good idea or a new thought, you can record it and go back to your own thoughts. This is a typical writing technique known as a rough draft. You can also free write independently, when you have copious time and then compare them later on. Keep in mind your vows don’t have to be identical at all. Its just usually tasteful to follow the same format and it can help you to stay organized.
Remember, This isn’t a report for work or a paper for school. It’s not your grandmother’s newspaper article or a bible passage either. These vows are your commitments to each other as partners. Partners are entering a committed, long-term agreement. In today's world you have the discretion to be yourself and be unique. This is just another area you can do that. The more honest and open you are with your vows and promises, the more satisfied your vows will be.
That’s the idea. Look around. Read many vows and posts like this. Identify your personality traits. Identify your similarities with your partner. Find a way to cover the main points. Try to avoid using the age-old, generic cliché vows. Try to use your creativity.
To help you get started, we have compiled a list of sentences to assist you in writing your vows. Hope they help.
Wedding Vows Ideas For Her
- You are the love of my life.
- You are the only one I’d ever spend eternity with.
- I promise to love you until death does us part.
- I promise to stand by you through the times when you are sick.
- Your happiness means everything to me, and I promise to always put you before myself.
- I promise to cherish you and to love you through the tough times.
- I will never take you for granted.
- I promise to remain faithful to you forever.
- I will be true to you throughout our many years of marriage to come.
- Our love means everything to me, and it is stronger than anything in the world.
- I promise never to let anyone or anything happen between us.
- I will cherish every waking moment I get to spend with you, my love.
- My life would be boring without you.
- You give new meaning to my life.
- I promise to always stand by your side.
- Through any tough times, there may be throughout our marriage.
- There will be disagreements, fights, and challenges we will face.
- But as long as you are by my side, I am not afraid. Although the times ahead may not always be happy, I will love you through all of it.
- I promise always to be honest with you, and to forgive you.
- I promise to trust you.
- I believe you with my heart, and I will always trust you.
- I promise to treat you as my equal and give you the respect that you deserve.
- I promise never to treat you as if you are any less of a person than I am.
- I promise to always be by your side.
- I promise always to be there when you need a shoulder to cry on.
- I will still be there for you even in the toughest of times.
- I will be there for you when you complain, and I will always be there to comfort you.
- You are the best thing that has ever come into my life, and words cannot explain how much I love, adore, and cherish you being in my life.
- I am the luckiest person in the world to have such a wonderful person by my side.
- I promise to cherish every moment with you and love you forever.
- Love is a strong word, but it is the perfect word to describe how I feel about you.
- You are everything to me, and I cannot wait to spend eternity with you.
- Every love is different, and ours is unique; special; and unusual.
- There is no one in this world I would rather spend my life with.
- I will forever love you. I Love You.
Wedding Vows Ideas For Him
- These are my vows to you, my love, my soul mate.
- I love you more than words can say, and I promise to cherish you throughout the many years to come.
- You have been my best friend through tough times, and I promise to be there for you whenever you need me.
- You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Words do not explain how much I love you. I promise to forever and always love you until the end.
- There will be times in our marriage when life will not be so great.
- Challenges await us in this infinity of love.
- I promise to love you through the tough times and be there for you when you are going through a tough time.
- I will always be honest with you, and I will never betray your trust. Your trust means the world to me.
- I promise to be patient with you.I will never hold a grudge against you, and I promise always to forgive you.
- There will be times in life where we won’t always agree.Times where we are fighting, but I promise to stand by you during those times.
- I will never let one disagreement drive a wedge between us.
- I promise to be the best that I can be in parenthood.
- I promise to do my best to give the child everything that it wants.
- I will love the child as it is a symbol of our love.
- I promise to support you in anything you decide to do.
- I promise to treat you as my equal and treat you with the highest respect that you so deserve.You are a real gift from God, and I promise to cherish you. I promise to stand by you in sickness and in health.
- I will never leave you no matter what.This life would mean nothing if you did not come into it.
- Every day with you is a gift, and I promise to treasure each and every day I get to spend with you.
- Our love is stronger than anything, and I promise never to let anyone come between us.
- I promise always to be faithful, and to be true to you throughout the many years to come.
- I promise to put you before me for your happiness means more to me than anything in the world.
- To see your smiling face each and every day is a gift I will forever cherish.
- There are a million love stories in the world but ours, my love, is my favorite one of them all.
- There is not one person on this earth I’d rather spend my life with and respect than you. I love you!
Hopefully, this has helped you to learn how to write wedding vows. If not, at least maybe it can help to spark some ideas on how to write freely and openly. Try to think outside the box and have fun being yourselves. This is your special day, and with adequate preparation, you will be able to write your own wedding vows!